Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Did it

Ok.  If nothing else I posted everyone's feedback on this blog.  Phew.  Eating the elephant.  I feel like I need to comb through it now and pick out some themes and pop them in the right place, right?  Also, I want to insert some themes I KNOW I must talk about.  As I read this feedback I just feel more and more strongly that this needs to be less research-y and more anecdotal.  That's usually more interesting for people anyway.  Ok here come some themes:

I have my own culture (third culture kids...talk with Bettina)
  • Maribel - And now a Mormon, Mexican-American.  I realized from that moment that I have my own culture.  I can never fully be American because I keep many of my traditions but will never be fully Mexican as I was not raised in that culture all my life.  I listen to Mexican music and Mariachis bring out the Mexican in me..Yippee!  But I listen to the Star Spangled Banner and the pride in me of belonging to this wonderful country which is the US just swells.
Keeping the heritage

Maribel - By doing my ancestral work, by not forgetting the “Latin celebrations” (day of the dead, 5 de Mayo) and celebrating X-mas with tamales, and champurrado but also having some ham and yams (yum) with pumpkin pie.

Desiree - Everyone has an opinion and mine comes from people telling me what I am or not am and tired of the labels we put on each other.

Mormon Raza

The pioneers I do relate to because they went thru all that they went thru so that I could one day be a part of this wonderful church…they are my brother’s and sisters in Christ , my Mormon Raza.

No comments:

Post a Comment